Sunday, November 7, 2010

Week in Review: November 1- 7

Monday, November 1, 2010: AM: Gym session; heavy weights at max effort. Usual routine that takes me about an hour to complete at the end of it all. Off to work after. No running today. Scheduled day off.

Tuesday, November 2, 2010: PM: 7.5 miles (1:05) Evening run with Meredith. Generally just took it fairly conservatively the entire time. My stomach was not cooperating the entire run; felt like I had a bowling ball in my stomach that was working its way out the other end (your welcome for the visual). Managed one steady climb over the run where I paced off a biker; love the motivation that bikers often provide. I don't think they like it when a runner is able to pace them. Finished with a serious of squats (single leg and double), weighted lunges, and a quick medicine ball routine (Russian twists, squats, lifts).

Wednesday, November 3, 2010: AM: 9miles (1:10) Up and out the door by 4:45am. Wanted to fit in a solid run before work. Unfortunately, my stomach gave me issues once again on this run. Thankfully, McDonalds was open for the quick pit stop (its only good use I swear!). Energy levels were up and down throughout. Average pace: 7:55
PM: 4.5 miles Casual run to Queensdale market to pick up some groceries for dinner. Wore my beat down MT 100's.

Thursday, November 4, 2010: AM: Gym session. Same as Monday morning. Starting to feel the benefits of these workouts. Power and strength??... not quite, but working my way in that direction. PM: 5.5 miles (50min). Easy with Meredith. Finished with short, intense hill sprints. 4 times 10 seconds on, with 5 second moving-rest; the whole effort progressing up a steep hill. Felt good, gasping by the top. These types of repeats are also beneficial for power and strength- with a running specific focus.




Friday, November 5, 2010: PM: 9miles (1:15). Awesome evening run. Headed out after work. There was an unbelievable rainbow encompassing most of Lynn Valley when I started my run. A light shower was falling but the sun was shining; I just love that. I headed up to Lynn Headwaters and by the time I reached Rice Lake it was dark. I strapped on my head lamp and tempoed a lap around the lake and eventually worked my way down to Twin Bridges, careful not to take an unnecessary tumble. I was certainly running scared the entire time. I was by myself and it was one of the first times I have run in that type of darkness through trails. Forced tempo effort for the last 4 miles as I was just hoping not to see any flickering eyes when I moved my light towards the surrounding bush.

Saturday, November 6, 2010: 7miles (1:04) Easy run with Meredith out at Port Moody on the Shoreline trail. We were doing some promo for IMPULSE in the surrounding community. Enjoyable run on some different terrain and in a unique setting.



Sunday, November 7, 2010: 18miles (2:29)
This was my first longer road run in some time. It was an absolutely beautiful morning; could not have asked for anything better in Vancouver for November. The foliage was in full force throughout Stanley Park. I did the first 9.11 miles with Meredith at a fairly conservative pace in 1:19. She then headed over to the Y for a workout and I continued on. I tried to MP tempo the next 4 miles running them in a decent 28:43 (7:10pace). I wasn't working too hard but was certainly getting the juices flowing. It was good training throw these miles square into the middle of a longer run. I then dropped it back down and ran the last 5 miles home in an easy 8:10sh pace. I definitely bonked the last 2 miles; especially heading up Keith road (god I hate that hill sometimes). I decided to take no water with me for the run and only managed to find one fountain along the way. I took one pack of Stingers... clearly not enough. Besides this little glitch I have to say I was overall pleased with the run given I have not run this length on the roads for probably close to a full year. Look forward to many more of these efforts over the impending weeks.

Weekly mileage: 60.57 (9+hours)
Gym Sessions: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment