Sunday, November 28, 2010

Week in Review: November 22- 28

Monday November 22, 2010: Gym session. Boring but necessary. No running. Took the day off as planned. The inclination was there but I resisted.

Tuesday November 23, 2010: 1mile W/U + 8miles (1:10). Out in the PM for what I had hoped to be a good workout. Turned out to be extremely unsatisfying and notably frustrating. I warmed up for a 1+mile then hooked up with Meredith for a steady loop with a couple good climbs. From the get-go my stomach was extremely unsettled- I have dealt with this in the past but just could not shake it tonight. Numerous stops in the bushes but nothing really helped. I was in a heaved-over mess a couple of times and felt terrible. This is probably one of the most frustrating things to deal with because it completely inhibits a workout while at the same time I feel like I have no control over it. Needless to say, I bagged the planned hard hills to finish.

Wednesday November 24, 2010: AM: 6miles (45xx). Hit the rat-wheel this morning at the Y. It was about 10 below to start the morning and I honestly just did not want to bother putting on the layers. Did 1.5mile warm-up on the mill at 8min/mile then dropped it down doing the next 4 in 7:30, 7:30, 7:15, and 6:58 respectively. Felt pretty good. Took a while to find a bit of a tempo. Kept the HR below LT for the entirety of the effort. Wanted to keep going but at this point I was already going to be late for work so had to hustle. PM: Back at the Y for a weight session.

Thursday November 25, 2010: PM: 7miles (1:02). We got about 10-15cm of snow throughout the day. By the time Meredith and I headed out in the PM for a run it had become intermittent bouts of rain. Always nice. Either way, it was an enjoyable snow-run. I wore my Saucony Razors that I normally reserve for snowshoe-running but they were ideal for tonight. It was a tough run in the snow, I am always amazed at the activation of the stabilizing muscles when running in the slush.




Friday November 26, 2010: AM: 6.5miles (50xx). On the mill again early this morning before work. Nasty conditions outside from the rain/snow over the last 24hrs; as a result, I kept it indoors; simply could not be bothered to deal with the weather conditions before having to head to work. Another tempo session: 1.5mile w/u at 8:10's followed up with 4 mile tempo at 7:30, 6:58, 6:58, 6:58. Solid for me. PM: 4miles (32min) Easy on the mill again after work. Finished it off with another quick weight session as I was waiting for Meredith to finish up her workout.

Saturday November 27, 2010: AM: 7.5miles (1:09). Out at Port Moody leading a group run with IMPULSE. Turned out to be just Meredith and I for this run as a few others were heading out a little later. We did the usual Powerline climb. I was dragging my ass this morning and Meredith certainly took me to school. Heartrate was spiking and I could not get it under control. Finally slogged my way to the top, we had also picked up a runner along the way who joined us for the climb. We then parted ways after a quick chat. Meredith and I kept exploring and found another climb up a dirt/gravel path. Once we hit the top we found ourselves above the fog and looking down on a blanketed city. It was a spectacular view on a beautiful morning from up high. The high-rises were just poking their way through the layer of clouds. Loved it. At the top, we tried to work our way West and find some sort of loop back down. We ended up behind some newer property development and inevitably had to hop a fence to get back to where we needed to be heading. A car slowed down to checkout what the hell we were doing. I am sure we looked like a couple hooligans rummaging about with our toques etc. But as soon as they saw the spandex we were no longer deemed a threat. At this point I couldn't help but stare and form a certain degree of animosity towards the developers and how the property has essentially been cut into the mountain slope with a complete disregard for the natural landscape. Higher and higher they reach; massive homes, I am talking three-car garages, etc, perched up on this slope. They are lined up like military soldiers in front of their general, erect and identical. Weird feeling. Anyways, I digress. From there, we basically just worked our way downhill finishing off where we started. Great run and fun to get up high even if we could barely stretch beyond civilization.

Sunday November 28, 2010: AM: 20miles (2:50). I did the first 12 miles with Meredith and then continued on to finish up by myself. We ended up climbing a little more than I would have liked but it was good practice. I was dragging my ass the last few miles but no water and half a cliff bar for nearly three hours of running might have had something to do with that. But... breaking the body down and building it back up...adaption. Overall, a decent long road run for me and good way to finish off the week.

Weekly Mileage: 61+ (9hours)+ 2.5 gym sessions- two tempo runs (although shorter), one hill session, and a long run.

No comments:

Post a Comment